Thursday 11 December 2008

Thoughts on Budapest

My third day in Budapest. It's a little cloudy, still pretty cold, and here are my thoughts so far:

It's clean, yet dirty
The streets are very clean. But every single flat surface is covered in graffitti. And not graffitti art, just scrawlings and (presumably) names. Of course I can't read any of it as it is all in the worlds most crazy language...

It's busy, yet empty
The roads are rammed with traffic. The jams are huge, especially at home time. But the pavements are almost entirely empty. I walked from my hotel along the river to the Chain Bridge, then over to the Pest side and along to a Christmas market (about 45 minutes walking). The market was the only place where there were any people. I probably only saw about 20 people the whole rest of the time.

I should always have a camera with me
I've missed some interesting photos. And I should have brought my DSLR, rather than just my compact.

Hungarian jokes translate surprisingly well into English
Turns out the same things are funny wherever you are (within reason...)

Hungarians like their meat
And jolly tasty it is too. Although it isn't cheap, but I think I may have got the "tourist menu". Actually, the waiter last night seemed a bit put out that he could not charge me more as I was out with five Hungarians who understood the bill. :)

Better do some work now...